Chocolate and peanut butter are wonderful complements to each other. So putting them together in cookie form makes a lot of tasty sense.
I’ve been making these cookies since I was a kid and always used Brach’s milk chocolate stars. A few years ago I noticed that some people were putting Hershey’s Kisses on top instead. I gave that a try but found that I preferred the chocolate stars as they seem to temper better in the oven. They are also a little wider, flatter and easier to bite into.
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar, plus some additional for rolling dough
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 bag (12 ounces) Brach’s milk chocolate stars
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, beat peanut butter and softened butter on medium speed. Add sugar and brown sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat another minute. Stir in flour mixture until fully incorporated.
4. Using a spoon or a small ice cream scoop, make dough balls and roll in a bowl of sugar to coat. Bake 8 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and place one chocolate star on each cookie. Return to oven for two minutes longer. Remove and transfer to cooling rack.