Brennan’s is a well known New Orleans style restaurant that serves a wonderful cauliflower and brie soup. Here is my version of that classic soup.
Brennan’s posted the recipe for cauliflower and brie soup on their website a few years ago. Unfortunately, I bookmarked the link instead of printing it. Since the recipe is no longer available online, I had to come up with my own version.
- 1 head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed into florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces brie, cut into small pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions, celery and garlic and saute vegetables for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cauliflower florets and continue cooking for 4 minutes.
- Stir in flour and continue cooking another minute.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer contents to a blender and puree. Alternatively, you can use a hand blender, but I have found that the blender is quicker and more efficient.
- Return puree to the pot and add brie pieces. Stir over medium heat to melt cheese.
- Add heavy cream to desired consistency and serve.
Yields 4 to 6 servings, depending on serving size